Military Education Benefits

Get Connected to the Military Education Benefits You Need

You've earned your education benefits, and we're committed to helping you use them. Our military support team can assist you with identifying the benefits offered through a variety of programs available, to make your out-of-pocket costs as low as possible.

For more information regarding the GI Bill® or Tuition Assistance benefits, please contact:

Shaun McCaughey, Associate Registrar and VA Certifying Official | 802-485-3305

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at 

The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.

Benefit Details

Government-Based Education Assistance

Veterans and active-duty, guard and reserve service members, as well as their spouses and dependents, can use a variety of GI Bills to help fund their education.

You can compare benefits easily by using the GI Bill® Comparison Tool and viewing current payment rates.

Post-9/11 GI Bill®

Get help with tuition and fees, money for housing, books and supplies. If you’ve served on active duty after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33).

If you are a member of the Reserves who lost education benefits when the Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) ended in November 2015, you may qualify to receive restored benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

See Full Details >>

Montgomery GI Bill® — Active Duty

If you have served at least two years on active duty, the Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD) can help you pay for up to 36 months of education benefits. You must meet eligibility requirements in one of four categories.

See Full Details >>

Montgomery GI Bill® — Selected Reserve

The Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) program offers up to 36 months of education and training benefits for members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard or Air National Guard. If your obligation started after June 30, 1985, or for some types of training, after September 30, 1990, you may be eligible for this benefit.

See Full Details >>

Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E; Chapter 31)

Formerly referred to as Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, this program helps you explore employment options and addresses training needs. In some cases, your family members may also qualify for certain benefits.

See Full Details >>

Apply for Your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to Use Your VA Education Benefits

To apply for your Veterans education benefit, go to the VA education benefit application website and complete the application, VA Form 22-1990. The VA will process your application and send you a Certificate of Eligibility stating your chapter benefits and the percentage of benefits for which you are eligible. You may also download a copy of your VA Education letter here.

Update Current Education Benefits

If you have used your Veterans education benefit in the past and wish to use it toward your education at Norwich University, you will need to complete VA Form 22-1995 to update the VA with your new school and program. This will prompt the VA to send you an updated Certificate of Eligibility.

Please send a copy of your COE to Shaun McCaughey, SCO at

Designed by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, this program aims for the VA and degree-granting institutions to pay the difference between what is covered by GI Bill® benefits and the total cost of the program. The Yellow Ribbon Scholarship is automatically applied if your tuition costs exceed the maximum state cap for tuition reimbursement and if you are qualified for the Post 9/11 GI Bill® at the 100% rate. Not all students are eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program. Given the recent changes to the GI Bill®, you may not find it necessary to use the Yellow Ribbon Program depending on the tuition costs of your chosen Norwich online degree program. It does not apply for active-duty personnel, their spouses, or Veterans receiving less than 100% of the benefit.

We're proud to contribute the maximum percentage rate of 50%, and we don't have program limits or student enrollment caps for the program — we work to make your private education very affordable.

See Full Details >>

Forever GI Bill®

The Forever GI Bill® expands the eligibility for and the amount of education benefits provided in the Post-9/11 GI Bill® as well as the length of time Veterans have to use them.

Veterans with specific career paths in mind can pursue additional educational funding options. Nonprofit and government organizations and even larger companies offer career-focused Veteran scholarships and grants such as:

STEM careers: Additional benefits offered by the Forever GI Bill

See Full Details >>

Military Tuition Assistance (Military TA)

Using the Military Benefits You've Earned.

The U.S. Defense Department’s Tuition Assistance (TA) program can assist with the cost of tuition for Norwich University’s online programs to eligible active duty, reserve, and National Guard personnel. The amount may not exceed $250/credit hour. You may even be able to combine TA money with funds from the GI Bill® to help offset the difference.

Norwich University directs Service members to speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service and receive approval prior to enrollment at Norwich. Service members who are interested in using Tuition Assistance (TA) need to proceed to the appropriate website below after consulting with their Education Services Officer/Counselor and having their TA accounts/records created.

Visit your service branch for more information:

Note: Some military sites have advanced security options and you may need to accept their security certificate before the site will load.

Tuition Assistance Point of Contact at Norwich University

Shaun McCaughey 
Associate Registrar 
Phone: 802-485-3305 
Fax: 802-485-2533

Vermont National Guard Tuition Assistance Program

The Vermont National Guard Tuition Assistance Program provides tuition assistance for active members of Vermont's Army or Air National Guard.

See Full Details >>

Post-9/11 GI Bill® Benefits

If you are a qualified service member, you can transfer all 36 months or a portion of your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to a spouse or child. The DoD approves a transfer of benefits. Learn about transferring Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA)

If you are the child or spouse of a Veteran or service member who has died, is captured or missing or has disabilities, you may be able to receive between 36 and 455 months of benefits to pay for school or job training through the DEA program — also called Chapter 35.

See Full Details >>

Student doing Tactical simulation

Which Online Degree Program Is Right For You?

Designed to meet the unique needs and goals of active military and Veteran students, you can complete your degree online, one course at a time. Our rigorous programs allow you to learn in the times and locations that are best for you.


2024 Wright-Patterson AFB Education Fair

Norwich University Online will be in Ohio for the 2024 Wright-Patterson AFB Education Fair. We invite all attendees to stop by our table at the event to learn more about Norwich's online programs.


  • Jul 24, 2024
  • 9:00am - 3:00pm
    • Off Campus

2024 Fort Leonard Wood Protection EXPO

Norwich University Online will be in Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, for the 2024 Fort Leonard Wood Protection EXPO. We invite all attendees to stop by our table at the event to learn more about Norwich...

  • Jul 23, 2024 - Jul 25, 2024
  • Various times
    • Off Campus

2024 Fort Meade Education Fair

Norwich University Online will be in Maryland for the 2024 Wright-Patterson Fort Meade Education Fair. We invite all attendees to stop by our table at the event to learn more about Norwich's online...

  • Aug 8, 2024
  • 10:30am - 1:30pm
    • Off Campus