Accessibility Services and ADA

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act

The College of Graduate and Continuing Studies at Norwich University is committed to providing an accessible academic community. The College of Graduate and Continuing Studies welcomes qualified students with disabilities and offers accommodations and services to students with a wide range of documented disabilities including mental health, attentional, learning, chronic health, sensory or physical disabilities. If you are a student with a disability, connect with our ADA Coordinator and we will engage you in an interactive process to provide you with an equal opportunity to partake in, contribute to, and benefit from our rich academic programs.

The ADA Coordinator will address each request for accommodations on a case-by-case basis to provide appropriate, individualized services to ensure students have access to our unique offerings as required by law.

Requesting Accommodation

To request an accommodation, please contact our ADA Representative in the College of Graduate and Continuing Studies:

College of Graduate and Continuing Studies
Norwich University
158 Harmon Drive Northfield, VT 05663
Phone: 1-802-485-3306
Fax: 1-802-485-2533

With the request for an accommodation, please submit recent, relevant medical documentation outlining the qualifying disability and/or medical condition. Such documentation must come from a medical professional or entity. After the request and the medical documentation has been received and reviewed, the ADA Coordinator will then engage the candidate in a dialogue to specify appropriate and reasonable accommodations. Requests are reviewed on a case by case basis in order to provide the most appropriate and individualized accommodations.

All medical documentation and requests for accommodations will remain confidential. Confidential information is only shared with the express permission of the candidate and only with those who have a legitimate need to know.

Appeal Process

Any student dissatisfied with the adjustments made to accommodate a disability will have the right to appeal. First, the student should contact the ADA Coordinator in the College of Graduate and Continuing Studies to attempt to resolve any issues. If, after working with the ADA Representative, the student is still not satisfied, the student should follow the formal appeal process outlined below.

The appeal process will be as follows:

  1. A written statement will be sent by the student to the Director of Human Resources, who serves as the University's 504 Coordinator.
    • This statement should include all relevant information and should request clear remedial action.
    • Based on this statement, the Coordinator will either reactivate the individual planning process or determine that the plan as developed is appropriate.
  2. If the appeal is rejected, it may be resubmitted to the Committee on Academic Standing and Degrees (CASD). That Committee will conduct an informal hearing on the issue, and either change the individual plan or sustain the original decision.
  3. The final level of appeal will be the provost of the University or a designee. This decision will be final.