NU Online FAQs

We've created the NU Online Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to make it easy for you to find answers to the top questions we receive from prospective students. If your questions are not answered here, do not hesitate to reach out to one of our friendly and knowledgeable admissions advisors.

1. How is Norwich University accredited?

Norwich University is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc. through its Commission on Institutions of Higher Education. Inquiries regarding our accreditation status may be directed to: Commission on Institutions of Higher Education, New England Association of Schools and Colleges, 209 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730-1433, phone: +1-781-271-0022, email:

2. Will my diploma say “Online Degree”?

No. You will receive the official, traditional diploma of Norwich University.

3. How do your online programs work?

Our programs are delivered through a state-of-the-art, online learning platform that allows you to access program content, contribute to class discussions, and communicate with faculty and other students at any time from anywhere in the world. Assignment due dates are fixed and spread out over the weeks of the course or seminar. Throughout your program, you’ll have access to 24/7 help desk support in case you encounter any technical issues with our virtual classroom experience.

4. Does the online format provide the same quality education offered by a traditional campus?

Yes. Numerous studies have proven that distance learners perform as well as or better than their on-campus counterparts. A Meta-Analysis and Review of Online Learning Studies found this to be the case based on more than a thousand empirical studies conducted from 1996 to 2008.

5. What does a typical week look like for a Norwich online student?

Our programs are designed for working adults who need to balance their studies with the demands of work and home. You should plan to spend an average of 20 hours per week on coursework, although some students may find it takes them less time while others will need more. Our students find time for their studies at opportune moments throughout the day: after their children’s bedtime, before the family gets up in the morning, during spare moments at the office, or while waiting in an airport. Many students find their cohort to be a tremendous source of support with regard to managing their time and course load. Weekly discussions play out on discussion boards and can be contributed to at any time during the week. Your instructor and student services advisor will help keep you on track. Learn more.

6. Do you grant academic credit for work experience or certifications?

Currently we only grant academic credit for relevant work experience in our bachelor's degree completion programs. For the master’s degree and certificate programs we do not currently grant academic credit for work experience or certifications.

7. Does Norwich accept transfer credits?

When you apply for admission to Norwich University, you can submit transcripts and course outlines from previously attended institutions of higher education to be considered for transfer credits. For our master’s degree programs, a maximum of 12 transfer credits can be accepted on a case-by-case basis. For our bachelor’s degree completion programs, up to 90 transfer credits can be accepted from prior education and career/military training. Norwich University complies with VA regulations and guidelines as they pertain to transfer credits.

8. How much does my program cost?

Please visit the Tuition Information page to see the most current tuition and related fees for each of our graduate or continuing education programs, or contact one of our admissions advisors. We also provide resources to help you explore financial aid options.

9. I’m a Norwich University alum. Do I receive benefits if I pursue a master’s degree program?

Yes. All graduates of Norwich University and their spouses are eligible to receive a $2,500 scholarship for any of our master’s degree programs.

10. What financial aid options are available?

Loans, grants, Veterans benefits, and scholarships are available for the bachelor’s degree completion and master’s degree programs. U.S. citizens and permanent residents have full access to federal financial aid, though students are encouraged to first seek tuition assistance from their employers. The online application through FAFSA can be completed within an hour and signed digitally with your PIN. Once your FAFSA application is completed, our bursar’s office will do the rest. Many students take advantage of the unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan, regardless of their income level. Veterans benefits such as the Montgomery GI Bill® are also accepted as tuition payment. See the financial aid section for the most current information.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

11. Will my employer help me pay for tuition?

Many employers offer professional development benefits to offset the cost of a degree or certificate program. Check with your supervisor or human resources department to learn more about the benefits available at your organization. In addition, Norwich University maintains hundreds of professional development partnerships with organizations to whom we offer tuition discounts for our master’s programs to their employees and members. To see if your organization is part of this network, please check our partner organizations look-up.

12. When can I start my program?

Our bachelor’s degree completion programs begin three times per year: January, May, and September. Master’s degree programs begin four times a year in March, June, September, and December, with the exception of the Master of Civil Engineering program, which has only two start dates (March and September). Reference our Admissions Deadlines for a list of upcoming admissions dates by program, or check with your admissions advisor to determine when you will be able to start.

13. How do I apply for one of the programs?

To apply for one of our programs, fill out our online application or speak with one of our admissions advisors to get started.

14. As an online student, will I receive a student ID?

You will receive a student ID within the first few weeks of your first course. The card is a non-photo ID and is valid while you are enrolled as a student at Norwich University. It contains important information you may need throughout your time as a student, including contact information for key resources. 

15. What Norwich University resources will be available to me?

A student services advisor will assist you during your time with Norwich. Your advisor will remain your point of contact throughout your program and will help you access on-campus services. You will also be able to work closely with the bursar and financial aid offices, the Kreitzberg Library, the help desk for any issues within the online learning environment, and the Career Services Center.

16. How does Norwich University provide ADA accommodations and accessibility services?

Norwich University is committed to ensuring equal access to our programs and will provide reasonable accommodations pursuant to the Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973/Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

Requests for accommodations can be made to our ADA Representatives listed below, who will work with you to determine appropriate accommodations.

When submitting your request, please provide appropriate documentation from a qualified medical provider. Learn more »

ADA Representative - Master's/Certificate Programs
Jennifer West
College of Graduate and Continuing Studies
Norwich University
158 Harmon Drive Northfield, VT 05663
Phone: 1-802-485-3306
Fax: 1-802-485-2533

ADA Representative - Bachelor's Programs
Chelsea Copeland
College of Graduate and Continuing Studies
Norwich University
158 Harmon Drive Northfield, VT 05663
Phone: 1-802-485-2458
Fax: 1-802-485-2533

17. What are the computer requirements for my program?

In order for the Norwich University online programs to run quickly and efficiently, your computer must meet certain minimum hardware and software requirements. If your system does not meet or barely meets the minimum requirements, the online learning software may run slowly or not at all.

Minimum requirements for PC users:

  • Operating System: Windows XP (Windows 7 or 8 recommended)
  • RAM: 128 MB recommended
  • Free Disk Space: 50 MB (100 MB recommended)
  • CPU Speed: 266 MHz (500 MHz recommended)
  • Modem: 56K modem (DSL or cable modem recommended if your program is graphically intensive)
  • Audio: Sound card and speakers

Minimum requirements for Macintosh users:

  • Operating System: Macintosh OS 10.7 or Higher
  • RAM: 64 MB (128 MB recommended)
  • Free Disk Space: 50 MB (100 MB recommended)
  • CPU Speed: Power Macintosh or higher
  • Modem: 56K modem (DSL or cable modem recommended if your course is graphically intensive)
  • Audio: Sound card and speakers

Minimum requirements for internet browsers:

  • Google Chrome: 30.0
  • Mozilla Firefox: 25.0
  • Apple Safari: 6
  • Internet Explorer: 9*

*version 10 is required for the use of 'Drag-and-Drop' when uploaded files from an outside source.


  • Flash Player
  • QuickTime Player
  • Windows Media Player


  • Microsoft Office 2003 or higher, to include MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
  • Adobe Acrobat Reader

Screen Reader Support:

  • Microsoft Internet Explorer: JAWS
    • Minimum version: 15
  • Mozilla Firefox: NVDA
    • Minimum version: 2014.1
18. Who is the typical online student at Norwich University?

While there is no “typical online student” at Norwich University, our approximately 1,200 current students do share our passion for public service and are committed to furthering their field and contributing positively to their community. The majority are working adults with busy schedules and a strong desire to increase their knowledge and skills.

Our student body is diverse and global in nature, logging in from 6 of the world’s 7 continents on any given day. Our programs benefit from our graduate students’ array of professional settings: from small start-ups, large corporations, prominent NGOs, federal government, smaller municipalities, and everything in between. About 30% of the enrollment in our master's programs has a military affiliation.

In contrast, in the following programs most to all students have a military affiliation; Strategic Studies and Defense Analysis (B.S.), National Security Studies (B.S.), and Strategic Studies (M.A.). 

19. Is there a residency requirement?

For master’s degree programs, there is a multi-day residency requirement in June. During your Residency Conference, you will attend a week of academic programming and have the opportunity to meet your classmates and many of your instructors and solidify the relationships you began online. At the end of the week, you will receive your diploma in a full graduation ceremony.

For our bachelor’s degree completion programs, residency is optional but recommended to cap off your Norwich experience.


20. What happens if I need to leave the program? Can I resume my studies at a later date?

We provide a flexible environment for our students, and our student services advisors help to ensure that students complete their degrees on time. However, sometimes interruptions in one’s studies are unavoidable. Our student services advisors will work with students on a case-by-case basis if needed to find a solution that accommodates their situation and maintains the integrity of their graduate or continuing studies.

21. Does Norwich University offer or plan to offer a PhD option for any of its programs?

We are always exploring the possibility of new offerings and degree programs, but at this time, we have no plans to offer degrees above the master’s level.

22. Where can I find the academic rules and regulations for Norwich’s online programs?

The academic rules and regulations may be found in the Online Programs Catalog.