NU Online FAQs

We've created the NU Online Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to make it easy for you to find answers to the top questions we receive from prospective students. If your questions are not answered here, do not hesitate to reach out to one of our friendly and knowledgeable admissions advisors.

How is Norwich University accredited?

Norwich University is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (formerly the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc.).

Accreditation of an institution of higher education by the Commission indicates that it meets or exceeds criteria for the assessment of institutional quality periodically applied through a peer review process. An accredited college or university is one which has available the necessary resources to achieve its stated purposes through appropriate educational programs, is substantially doing so, and gives reasonable evidence that it will continue to do so in the foreseeable future. Institutional integrity is also addressed through accreditation.

Accreditation by the Commission is not partial but applies to the institution as a whole. As such, it is not a guarantee of every course or program offered, or the competence of individual graduates. Rather, it provides reasonable assurance about the quality of opportunities available to students who attend the institution.

Inquiries regarding the accreditation status by the Commission should be directed to the administrative staff of the institution. Individuals may also contact:

New England Commission of Higher Education

3 Burlington Woods Drive, Suite 100, Burlington, MA, 01803-4514

Phone: (781) 425-7785


Will my diploma say “Online Degree”?

No. You will receive the official, traditional diploma of Norwich University.

How do your online programs work?

Our programs are delivered through a state-of-the-art, online learning platform that allows you to access program content, contribute to class discussions, and communicate with faculty and other students at any time from anywhere in the world. Assignment due dates are fixed and spread out over the weeks of the course or seminar. Throughout your program, you’ll have access to 24/7 help desk support in case you encounter any technical issues with our virtual classroom experience.

What does a typical week look like for a Norwich online student?

Our programs are designed for working adults who need to balance their studies with the demands of work and home. You should plan to spend an average of 20 hours per week on coursework, although some students may find it takes them less time while others will need more. Our students find time for their studies at opportune moments throughout the day: after their children’s bedtime, before the family gets up in the morning, during spare moments at the office, or while waiting in an airport. Many students find their cohort to be a tremendous source of support with regard to managing their time and course load. Weekly discussions play out on discussion boards and can be contributed to at any time during the week. Your instructor and student services advisor will help keep you on track. Learn more about what it's like to be a student at Norwich.

Does Norwich accept transfer credits?

When you apply for admission to Norwich University, you can submit transcripts and course outlines from previously attended institutions of higher education to be considered for transfer credits. For our master’s degree programs, a maximum of 12 transfer credits can be accepted on a case-by-case basis. For our bachelor’s degree programs, up to 90 transfer credits can be accepted from prior education and career/military training.

Norwich University complies with VA regulations and guidelines as they pertain to transfer credits.

How much does my program cost?

Please visit the Tuition Information page to see the most current tuition and related fees for each of our degree programs, or contact one of our admissions advisors. We also provide resources to help you explore financial aid options.

I’m a Norwich University alum. Do I receive benefits if I pursue a master’s degree program?

Yes. Norwich University alumni and their spouses, parents, and children are eligible to receive our Alumni Scholarship for any of Norwich's online master's degrees and graduate-level certificates (except for the Certificate of Teaching and Learning). The scholarship is award for each term of enrollment at $425 per term and is applicable only toward tuition costs. View additional alumni tuition discounts for graduate programs.

What financial aid options are available?

Loans, grants, Veterans benefits, and scholarships are available for the bachelor’s degree completion and master’s degree programs. U.S. citizens and permanent residents have full access to federal financial aid, though students are encouraged to first seek tuition assistance from their employers.

The online application through FAFSA can be completed within an hour and signed digitally with your PIN. Once your FAFSA application is completed, our bursar’s office will do the rest. Many students take advantage of the unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan, regardless of their income level. Veterans benefits such as the Montgomery GI Bill® are also accepted as tuition payment. See the financial aid section for the most current information.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Will my employer help me pay for tuition?

Many employers offer professional development benefits to offset the cost of a degree or certificate program. Check with your supervisor or human resources department to learn more about the benefits available at your organization.

When can I start my program?

Our bachelor’s degree programs begin several times throughout the year. Master’s degree programs begin four times a year in March, June, September, and December.

Please reference our Admissions Deadlines for a list of upcoming admissions dates by program, or check with your admissions advisor to determine when you will be able to start.

How do I apply for one of the programs?

To apply for one of our programs, fill out our online application or speak with one of our admissions advisors to get started.

As an online student, will I receive a student ID?

You will receive a student ID within the first few weeks of your first course. The card is a non-photo ID and is valid while you are enrolled as a student at Norwich University. It contains important information you may need throughout your time as a student, including contact information for key resources. 

What Norwich University resources will be available to me?

A student services advisor will assist you during your time with Norwich. Your advisor will remain your point of contact throughout your program and will help you access on-campus services. You will also be able to work closely with the bursar and financial aid offices, the Kreitzberg Library, the help desk for any issues within the online learning environment, and the Career Services Center.

How does Norwich University provide ADA accommodations and accessibility services?

The College of Graduate and Continuing Studies at Norwich University is committed to providing an accessible academic community. The College of Graduate and Continuing Studies welcomes qualified students with disabilities and offers accommodations and services to students with a wide range of documented disabilities including mental health, attentional, learning, chronic health, sensory or physical disabilities. If you are a student with a disability, connect with our ADA Coordinator and we will engage you in an interactive process to provide you with an equal opportunity to partake in, contribute to, and benefit from our rich academic programs and the Residency Conference.

The ADA Coordinator will address each request for accommodations on a case-by-case basis to provide appropriate, individualized services to ensure students have access to our unique offerings as required by law.

To request an accommodation, please contact our ADA Representative in the College of Graduate and Continuing Studies:

Jennifer West
College of Graduate and Continuing Studies
Norwich University
158 Harmon Drive Northfield, VT 05663
Phone: 1-802-485-3306
Fax: 1-802-485-2533

With the request for an accommodation, please submit recent, relevant medical documentation outlining the qualifying disability and/or medical condition. Such documentation must come from a medical professional or entity. After the request and the medical documentation has been received and reviewed, the ADA Coordinator will then engage the candidate in a dialogue to specify appropriate and reasonable accommodations. Requests are reviewed on a case by case basis in order to provide the most appropriate and individualized accommodations.

All medical documentation and requests for accommodations will remain confidential. Confidential information is only shared with the express permission of the candidate and only with those who have a legitimate need to know.

What are the computer requirements for my program?

In order for the Norwich University online programs to run quickly and efficiently, your computer must meet certain minimum hardware and software requirements. If your system does not meet or barely meets the minimum requirements, the online learning software may run slowly or not at all.

Minimum requirements for PC users:

  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 or newer
  • Processor (CPU): Intel Core i5 (6th Gen or newer) or equivalent AMD
  • RAM (Memory): 8GB (16GB recommended)
  • Storage: 128 GB internal (256GB SSD recommended)
  • 802.11ac 2.4/5 GHz Wireless or Ethernet Network Connection
  • Broadband internet: 7 Mbps download/2 Mbps upload
  • Webcam and Mic (built-in or external)
  • Wired or Bluetooth Headset with Mic for privacy

Minimum requirements for Macintosh/Apple users:

  • Operating System: macOS 10.10 or newer
  • Processor (CPU): Intel Core i5 (6th Gen or newer) or Mac Silicon Chip (M series chips)
  • RAM (Memory): 8GB
  • Storage: 128 GB internal (SSD recommended)
  • 802.11ac 2.4/5 GHz Wireless or Ethernet Network Connection
  • Broadband internet: 7 Mbps download/2 Mbps upload
  • Webcam and Mic (built-in or external)
  • Wired or Bluetooth Headset with Mic for privacy

Minimum iPad Requirements:

  • Standard iPad – 7th Gen
  • iPad Pro 12.9 inch – 4th Gen
  • iPad Pro 11 inch – 2nd Gen
  • iPad Air – 3rd Gen
  • iPad mini – 5th Gen
  • Wired or Bluetooth Headset for privacy
  • Some resources may not be available to iOS users; We highly recommend using a laptop or desktop computer.

You can connect to the Virtual Desktops by going to in a web browser. You will be provided two options download the client or use the HTML version. If using the HTML version, sign in with your Norwich username, everything before the @ symbol in your email, and your Norwich Password. You can also download the client. Once downloaded and installed, if prompted to enter a server address, enter

Minimum requirements for internet browsers:

  • Microsoft Edge – the most recent version
  • Google Chrome – the most recent version
  • Mozilla Firefox – the most recent version
  • Apple Safari – the most recent version
  • Internet Explorer is being deprecated from Windows. Please do not use IE


  • PDF Reader (Modern web browsers can read PDFs) or FoxIt Reader
  • Office 2019 or newer

Note: Your Norwich account allows you to install Office 365 on up to 5 different devices, including iPads, tablets, and phones. You can install O365 by going to this link and signing in with your Norwich email (example: Do not include the 'stu') and your Norwich password. Once the page loads, you will see a button near the top right of the screen that says 'Install Office.' Click that button, and the installer will download, run the installer and sign in with your Norwich email and password. Your subscription will be active as long as you are a current student at Norwich University.

If needed, You can connect to the Virtual Desktops by going to in a web browser. You will be provided two options download the client or use the HTML version. If using the HTML version, sign in with your Norwich username, everything before the @ symbol in your email, and your Norwich Password. You can also download the client. Once downloaded and installed, if prompted to enter a server address, enter

Screen Reader Support:

Employer or Military provided computers not owned by the student:

  • Some resources require the student to install software with elevated admin permissions for the degree program. We have found that computers owned by the student's employer, Military or otherwise, might have issues accessing specific resources. That is why we suggest all students have access to their own personal computers.

If needed, You can attempt to connect to the Virtual Desktops by going to in a web browser. You can connect using the HTML version in the browser. Sign in with your Norwich username, everything before the @ symbol in your email, and your Norwich Password

Who is the typical online student at Norwich University?

While there is no “typical online student” at Norwich University, our approximately 1,200 current students do share our passion for public service and are committed to furthering their field and contributing positively to their community. The majority are working adults with busy schedules and a strong desire to increase their knowledge and skills.

Our student body is diverse and global in nature, logging in from 6 of the world’s 7 continents on any given day. Our programs benefit from our graduate students’ array of professional settings: from small start-ups, large corporations, prominent NGOs, federal government, smaller municipalities, and everything in between. About 30% of the enrollment in our master's programs has a military affiliation.

In contrast, in the following programs most to all students have a military affiliation; Strategic Studies and Defense Analysis (B.S.), National Security Studies (B.S.), and Strategic Studies (M.A.). 

Is there a residency requirement?

There are no residency requirements for our degree programs.


What happens if I need to leave the program? Can I resume my studies at a later date?

When personal and professional circumstances get in the way of one's studies, Norwich University understands that you may need to step out and resume your studies at a different time. When a temporary leave is necessary, our student services advisors and faculty will work with students to find a solution that accommodates their situation and maintains the integrity of their studies.

We provide a flexible environment for our students, and our student services advisors help to ensure that students complete their degrees on time.

Does Norwich University offer or plan to offer a PhD option for any of its programs?

We are always exploring the possibility of new offerings and degree programs, but at this time, we have no plans to offer degrees above the master’s level.

Where can I find the academic rules and regulations for Norwich’s online programs?

The academic rules and regulations may be found in the Online Programs Catalog.